Friday, July 21, 2017

Basil

Basil is one of the more difficult herbs to grow where we live. It's just not warm enough for it to grow well out in the garden. Some years we've had a good crop. Most other years have been a disappointment. But now, with the greenhouse, we can grow basil more reliably.

Basil growing in the greenhouse.

When it's less than warm outdoors, the greenhouse stays warmer. And that's what basil likes. So we have enough basil for summer Caprese salads made with tomato, mozzarella, and basil. Yum. And we also have enough for many of our favorite Thai dishes. We may even have enough this year for pesto!

6 comments:

  1. It pairs so well with mint! There is a fabulous recipe on David Lebovitz's blog for pea and radish tartines with goat cheese. I think you would love it. Check it out, I have made it several times since the original post and everyone to whom I have served it loved it. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/green-pea-radish-tartines-recipe/
    Enjoy and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your greenhouse was a great investment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. judy, it's one of those great summer pleasures!

    angiemanzi, sounds good!

    bettyann, we agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of fresh basil. I recently realized I now say baa-zul... the British influence around here. Do you still say BAY-zul?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mitch, yup, I'm a BAY-zuhl guy. BAH-zuhl is Mrs. Fawlty's husband. ;)

      Delete

Tell me what you think!