Monday, January 18, 2016

Monday macros

When it snowed on Friday, I noticed that the flakes were sticking to our deck railing for a short time before they melted. I got the camera out and tried to take some macro shots of individual flakes. I had to rush to find good examples before they melted, moving the camera around (on the tripod), refocusing, and messing with the settings. I was more or less successful.

I think this one looks best in black and white, 100mm (macro), f/8.0, 0.4s, ISO 400.

These are the best of the bunch of photos I took. I like that I can actually see the crystalline form of the flakes. If I had had a little more time before they melted, and hadn't been shivering, I might have got better shots. The flakes were gone within seconds of falling.

I pumped up the blue tint a little for this one, 100mm (macro), f/8.0, 1/10s, ISO 400.

14 comments:

  1. Wonderfull macro, greeting from Mons in Belgium


    http://louisette.eklablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the first person I know who can manage snow pix like these. They are wonderful. No snow here, but really chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second one looks like a tiara on the head of someone with grey hair :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super dooper! Great to see individual flakes. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely pictures. the first major coating here in NYC happened on Saturday afternoon. Snow in winter.....finally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the second one the best...
    you've managed to get a perfect six-pointed, star-shaped flake right on a golden point!
    No wonder The Beaver thinks it looks like a tiara...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific results; I am totally impressed. If it had been colder, the snow flakes might have been smaller and perhaps not as lovely as the ones you got. That they are on the verge of melting gives a truly ephemeral feeling to the photographs; the beauty of the snowflakes is transient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magical pictures. Your shivering was well rewarded, as are we.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More or less successful? Definitely MORE. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!