Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Autumn's chill

Winter approaches. This morning's low temperature is flirting with zero, the freezing point. The loft windows are iced over. From the downstairs windows I can see the waning moon and Orion's stars hanging low in the western sky.

Some trees are already bare, others still hold their leaves tight. But their grip is loosening.

It's too soon for snow, at least here where we live, but snow is falling in the Rhône Valley this morning. Our day will warm up a little, according to the forecast, and rain is predicted overnight. Thankfully, because I'm not ready to deal with snow yet.

Still, this morning's walk with Callie will be brisk!

9 comments:

  1. It's blowing a hoolie here today so I'll be lucky to get her ladyship out of bed for a walk at all!
    Yesterday it was beautifully sunny and tomorrow is forecast to be good too, so it's not so bad.
    Although I did here the first mention of "wintry showrers" on the hills for the first time. I'm not ready for that yet, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I did hear....." Is what I meant.......

      Delete
  2. You two do produce some seriously lovely landscape photos. Wow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid, I used to love walking on frozen grass because of the "crunch, crunch" noise. (On Facebook, Phil Plait wrote about seeing Mercury during the next 3 weeks).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another stunner ! What a perfect composition. Is this B&W ? At least on my monitor it looks like there is some color in the distance. Reminiscent of the old tinted photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But the snow is so pretty!
    @Jean...what's a "hoolie"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hoolie is a gale, usually of the gusty kind accompanied by nasty, horizontal rain.
      Typical Derbyshire weather actually !!

      Delete
  6. jean, we had to look up "hoolie." Not a word used in American English. We had some heavy rain overnight and a little more this morning. At least it's not snow!

    judy, thanks!

    nadege, I read Phil Plait's blog regularly, but I don't follow him on FB. I'll look for Mercury!

    stuart, I applied a very light sepia filter to the B/W image because I thought it had too much of a blue tint.

    starman, snow is pretty, at first. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the photo in B&W. It makes the landscape look soooo cold, which, of course it is! We had lows this morning in the 20's. BUT, the sun is out and we have clear blue skies! Life is good!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!