Monday, December 17, 2012

Almond biscotti

This is one of my favorite recipes and I usually make it several times during the end-of-the-year holiday season. Of course, they are delicious any time. I like to dunk them into wine, coffee, or tea. They can even be dipped in melted chocolate then allowed to cool for a special touch. And, although these are made with almonds, they're just as good with walnuts or hazelnuts.

Delicious almond biscotti, ready to dunk!

Almond biscotti
  • 1/4 cup whole almonds, shelled and skinned (you can buy them like that)
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. almond extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • a dash of salt
Place the almonds in a shallow pan and bake in a preheated 180ºC (350ºF) oven for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

When the almonds are roasted, take them out of the oven and let them cool. Meanwhile, combine and beat together the eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract.

In a separate bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer), combine the flour, sugar, soda, and salt and mix until well blended.

Add the egg mixture and mix for about a minute until well blended. Roughly chop the almonds into halves or thirds (it doesn't matter if some stay whole) and mix them in.

Divide the dough in half and form each half into a log about 1.25 cm (1/2 inch) thick, 4 cm (1 1/2 inches) wide, and 30 cm (12 inches) long. Precision is not necessary here. Put the logs on a greased and floured baking sheet (or use a silicon baking mat) at least 5 cm (2 inches) apart and bake them in the middle of a 150ºC (300ºF) oven about 50 minutes or until golden brown.

Transfer the two logs to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes. Then put them on a cutting board and slice them at a 45º angle with a serrated knife. The slices should be about 1.25 cm (1/2 inch) thick.

Put the slices back on the baking sheet and return them to a 135ºC (275ºF) oven for about 20 minutes to toast them. After they cool, store them in a tightly closed tin.

13 comments:

  1. am hungry now....looks utterly delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could just eat one of these, sitting here with my mug of coffee.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (waits by the internet tubes with mouth open)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the title of your post, I was hoping you'd post the recipe too...thanks!!
    I always buy my biscotti from the store which can work out to be pretty pricey.
    I think I'll try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your biscotti look delicious! We wish we could be there to dunk some with you and Ken...
    L&L

    ReplyDelete
  7. Biscotti- it's what I'm baking today! Miam, miam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good, I will have to try them out!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love almond biscotti. It's definitely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look fabulous! Life's too short to peel an almond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before I had scrolled past the picture, I was thinking, I hope Walt will share the recipe -- and there it was! Thank you -- I love everything almond.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen these but have never had one.
    The dunking part makes sense now; for they look rather hard by themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!