Thursday, March 01, 2012

Working in the garden

I've actually begun the cleanup process in the yard. Yesterday I was out in the sun raking up some leaves that accumulated against the house under the deck in front. I also trimmed back the hydrangea and some old sage plants. I burned a pile of yard waste that we had under a tarp since last fall.

The primroses are beginning to bloom.

There is still much to do, and I get a little overwhelmed when I go out and look. But it's only March first, and there will be time to do a little each day. Eventually we'll get it all cleaned up and back under control.

By the way, I've changed the commenting format (it's an option that blogger offers). Now you can reply to individual comments by hitting the "reply" button below each comment. Let me know what you think, and if it works or doesn't work for you. As for word verification, I've left it on for the time being. Blogger made it a little easier to read the words.

Note: I've already tried my first round of "replying" to comments. I'm not sure I like it for my own replies, since I try to reply to each comment. I'll leave this up for now and wait to see what the regular commenters have to say.

12 comments:

  1. Seeing beaming flowers like this, rather like happy dogs, are guaranteed to lift my spirits. Only one not aware of his/her 'spirit' within can fail to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm commenting so that I can see if the word verification is any better than it has become... which was terribly hard to read. (Nice photo, though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much better for word verification.

      Delete
    2. Ok - And I'm replying to see how that works. Seems easy enough. But I never really minded going through all the comments and seeing the references to the comments from the other commentators was not difficult.

      Delete
    3. I sure don't find the words any easier to identify. Who told you they were going to get more clear, Walt?

      Mary in Oregon

      Delete
  3. wcs, now that I have only the one job, I have more free time to take care of what passes for a garden. There's all this trash that's blown down the street and I need to cut the remains of last years plants, but really...most likely...I'm just gonna let the morning glory take over probably. But at least the daffodils are coming up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you :-)

    Another dump of 10 cms of the white stuff today - so won't toil outside until the end of April

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I like the new commenting system but I wish that your reply was emailed back to me. Remember my own struggle that you helped me with?
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not necessarily related to this post, but I have been following you and Ken for about 1 1/2 years. A bit of deskchair travel while I am at work. Thank you so much. And here in NYC, March came in like a lion, well more like a lion cub, but not lamblike at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful primroses.

    Take good care of your back this season!

    I love the new "reply" format as I've been using it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of like the black background for the comments. It doesn't take much to impress me
    :-)

    Oh - the words do seem to be easier to ID.


    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  9. raybeard, my spirits are lifted!

    judy, ellen, they took the shading off of the word verification, but the letters are still a bit difficult. I'm mulling it over. I do like the reply thing, but using it for my own replies is too much, as I get an email for every comment (as does everyone else who subscribes), including my own, clutters up the inbox too much, so I'll keep doing it this way.

    writer, our daffs are up, too. Morning glory sounds nice. I hope you take pictures!

    t.b., wow. I'm hopeful that we're done with snow for this season!

    mark, all you have to do is click on "Subscribe by email below the comment box on the right, then you'll get replies. I hope.

    angiemanzi, thanks for letting me know! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    mitch, I think about that every time I do something in the yard. Ug! This getting old stuff, well, damn and blast.

    mary, good! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!