Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dunn Memorial Bridge Views

I did something last week that I've never done before. I walked across the Dunn Memorial Bridge. I didn't even know you could walk across the bridge. It's a standard freeway bridge that replaced the original, and more visually appealing, drawbridge back in 1969.

This is the first time I've read (and maybe even seen) this plaque.

There is a pedestrian and bicycle lane on the north side of the bridge that connects to ramps on either shore. On the Albany side, the ramp comes down under the tangle of ramps that we used to call the Pretzel, forcing pedestrians and cyclists under the freeway to gain access to town.

The Albany skyline from across the Hudson.

I parked my car on the Rensselaer side of the river (that would be the left bank) so that I could take some photos of the city from over there. Then I saw the ramp. So up I went and walked over the Hudson for the first time in my life.

Looking north up the Hudson River.

The views are not all that great, given that they're broken up by tall fences (for our protection) and by freeway signs and lamp posts and ramps. But still, there are some sights to see. And I passed other people walking and riding (well, they passed me) across the bridge. Who knew?

A view of downtown from the bridge.

Fortunately for me it was a sunny morning and there was very little wind. Otherwise the walk might have been very unpleasant. I got a better, and longer, view of the river than I got driving across the bridge. There was even a little boat traffic to make things interesting.

The Port of Albany in the south end.

One day I'd like to take some time to walk the length of the waterfront. I'm not sure it's possible south of the bridge, but there is a riverside park and walk from the bridge northward. I wonder how far it goes?

The old D&H Railroad building next to the new Department of Environmental Conservation headquarters.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos. I love the jumble of buildings on the skyline.
    I am often tempted to get out of the car and walk over a bridge as you miss a lot from inside the car. It's better on the bike as you are higher up and can get more of an all-round view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jean, yes, me too. But we don't get out of the car often enough, do we?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!