Monday, May 14, 2007

Presqu'île De Crozon

Looking out at the Atlantic Ocean from the Presqu'île de Crozon.

The Crozon peninsula juts out into space between the Brest harbor and the Bay of Douarnenez. It's part of a larger national park with dramatic cliffs and coves, and it reminded me a lot of the Northern California coast.

Cliffs meet the churning water below.

We spent the night in the small town of Crozon before exploring the peninsula. It was dark and raining when we arrived in Crozon and found a small hotel - I'm not even sure where it was. Ken suggested that I go in to ask about a room. I think he was sick of being the one who always did it. I was not very confident about my French skills back then, but it was clear that if we wanted a room, I had to go get one.

Looking north across the Cove of Dinan (I think).

The place was old and dark inside. Two older women staffed desk, and they were not warm and welcoming, but brisk and business like. I asked for a room and we got one with no trouble. I went back to the car almost ecstatic that I had done the deed. What was the big deal ; it was just hotel transaction.

Another view from the peninsula.

The wind howled all night, I remember, and I think we may have been the only guests in the hotel that night. It certainly seemed that way. That experience is what I think of whenever I hear the old cliché, "It was a dark and stormy night."

The vegetation on the peninsula was short and scrubby in between lots of exposed rocks.

We explored part of the windswept coastline the next morning, then headed around the Bay of Douarnenez.

3 comments:

  1. I remember telling you it was your turn to go in and ask about a room for the night. I was coming down with a cold and was feeling lousy. Actually, I was sick for the rest of the trip. Don't remember that hotel at all. Wasn't it already dark by the time we found the place? And I remember driving to a restaurant way out in the middle of nowhere to have dinner. The restaurant was crowded, noisy, and warm, and the food was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure remember what it was like to dread initiating a necessary conversation. In fact, after 4 years, there are still times I dread it. Especially when it is some complicated construction issue. Alas the expatriat cross... it is heavy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm much better at it now. These days, it's interacting on the phone that stresses me. I don't know why, since there's no face-to-face, but it does. I've mastered calling for reservations, or a Dr's appointment. Maybe it's just that with the phone, there's no time to practice in your head how the conversation will go, except in the two situations I mentioned. You're completely on your own.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!